Wolfson Children’s Hospital President Michael Aubin Speaks to the Club
Posted by Tim Wombles
on Dec 17, 2013
Recently, the Fernandina Beach Rotary Club welcomed Wolfson Children’s Hospital President Michael Aubin as a guest speaker. Aubin explained that the hospital, which is part of Baptist Health, was founded with a $500,000 grant from the Wolfson family in 1955. Today, the 199-bed pediatric referral hospital is the largest full-service tertiary care facility for children in the region. Since its opening as a pediatric wing of Baptist Medical Center in downtown Jacksonville, Wolfson has joined forces with Nemours Children’s Clinic, the University of Florida College of Medicine–Jacksonville, Brooks Rehabilitation and Mayo Clinic to provide patient care, research, education and child advocacy to more than 900,000 children from North Florida, South Georgia and beyond. Aubin noted that Wolfson has cared for some 16,000 pediatric patients from Nassau County. The hospital and its partners specialize in pediatric hematology, oncology, diabetes, endocrinology, cardiovascular procedures, neurosurgery, bone marrow transplants and neurovascular surgery. Wolfson has been consistently recognized as one of the nation’s top children’s hospitals for diabetes, endocrinology, urology, orthopedics and neonatology. Aubin said that the hospital has recently increased its community outreach by opening new satellite clinics in Clay County, Lake City, Daytona Beach and Brunswick. In addition, Wolfson has implemented several new programs and services focusing on nutrition, preventative care, patients with medically complex conditions as well as children’s advocacy for abused and neglected patients – all in the hope of keeping kids healthy and out of the hospital.